Thursday, September 18, 2008

MTC

Well, Nick was officially delivered to the MTC. We have heard all the horror stories of sadness about the experience with oceans of tears, hours of goodbyes and mothers being drug by the ankles out the doors but ours was a peaceful, happy time. Sure....there were some tears shed, but we gave him a few quick hugs, teared up, and let him walk out the "Missionary Exit Only" doors. He turned around just before leaving and gave his mom the "I love you" sign with the pinky slightly bent. Nikki was thrilled.

He was so excited to start. We spent the day before at the SLC temple and grounds. He loved going to the temple but especially liked the LDS museum. We saw the watch that was shot when Willard Richards had it in Carthage jail. We saw the original death masks of Joseph and Hyrum and many more great things I didn't know were available to everyone to see.

But what a spirit there was in the MTC as 600 young people prepared to leave by hugging their parents and then leaving and being embraced by the love of the Savior. It was surreal as the last speaker said they would have a closing prayer and then would say our goodbyes. As the prayer was ending you could hear a few quite sobs as everyone realized this was it. I was okay until I heard the man in front of my start to cry as the prayer came to a close.

I looked over at Nick and his eyes were red. He hugged me, then Hilary and finally his mom. He was all smiles when he left, excited to begin this new adventure in his life. I'm sure he'd love to hear from each of you. He has read this blog and knows you all from your blogs.

His address is:

Elder Nick Novakovich
MTC Mailbox #98
CAN-HAL 1007
2005 N. 900E.
Provo, UTAH 84604-1793

2 comments:

Heather said...

I will write him a letter right now. I am so excited about his journey. My mission meant so much to me. Wish I could have been there. I would have loved a hug too. Miss you guys

Angela said...

Thanks for the comment.. now my mom thinks I gamble!

It was great to meet you the other night. If you guys like 4 wheeling next time you are in town we can take you for a ride. Have a safe drive home!