Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mountain Biking

In celebration of Labor Day, Jaren and I went up to Silver Mountain in Kellogg Idaho and did our first foray into downhill mountain biking. Suffice it to say that if you would have placed a large lump of coal on my bike seat, I would have produced you a diamond by the end of the day. I can't believe how crazy it was. We road the gondola up to the top of the mountain and then went to the start of the 3 trails. The "beginner trail" was just the road back down the mountain. No way we were going to take that! We went over to the expert trail and it began with a 6 foot drop off. Okay, so that was out of the question. The intermediate trail was straight down but at least there was no drop off.


We chose to go intermediate and let me tell you......diamonds in the making. I put my brakes on, (both front and back locked up) and was picking up speed as I went down! I would have been able to concentrate better but I noticed a high pitched squeeling noise coming from somewhere that was very distracting. After 5 minutes I realized it was me screaming and crying.


It took us two hours to reach the bottom of the mountain from our first run. (Mind you, this was at the speed of light) I can't say it was fun but it was thrilling. We headed back up for round two but decided to have lunch, and let my tears dry. Our waitress asked how the first run went and I broke down sobbing.


Run two was more exciting for Jaren because he went over his handle bars twice. We were the only ones on the mountain that weren't in full body armor. We did go to the back shop after to check the prices on the stuff. The salesman told us right off that it less expensive than a trip to the emergency room.


So if anyone wants to come to Spokane and experience downhill mountain biking, Nikki would be more than happy to tag along.

No comments: